As an example, I think we could write a good blog post about our sysadmin challenges and the move to OSUOSL:
OSUOSL blog post thoughts
Besides describing the move to OSUOSL and thanking them, we should emphasize how sysadmin challenges cost us years of delays:
- developer (and other volunteer) time spent on sysadmin (instead of someone particularly interested)
- hosting our own email (crazy, but also crazy that it’s crazy)
- our building of integrated tools early on to avoid the hassles and downsides of existing tools
- maybe mention here (though could be separate blog post) the whole adventure with Gitorious through GitLab etc (mentioning newer things like SourceHut existing now etc etc)
- All framed as a story about the challenges of running a FLO project with FLO tools
- Acknowledge the question of whether we should have / could have paid for sysadmin services rather than sink valuable dev time into these things
- The assertion that while we have tons to do still, OSUOSL and solid tools is finally a clear place from which we can do the rest of our work and get launched
I know that Ghost can hold drafts, which is where we’ve put ideas for blog posts before, but that doesn’t get regular attention and isn’t a good place for discussion of the posts (and whether to post what).
What would be the best place on the forum for such discussions? Do we need a new place?