What should the HTML "meta description" be?

Continuing the discussion from Problems with the forum "about" page…:

We’re looking into changing how the About page works so we won’t worry about that. For the sake of HTML meta, what should we use at the forum?

Tension about forum categories (f&s vs ctp)

Not sure what you want. Meta on the forum might be anything along keywords like “crowdmatching” “forum” “community” “discourse” “discussion” … ?

I just don’t know what meta in general should be, and I’m just looking for anyone who knows more to decide what it should be. I suppose it should be almost the same for the main site and forum, right?

Meta description should be less than 155 characters, this shows up in search engine results. The keywords do not matter, and while we shouldn’t avoid them all together, overuse would be a mistake. Description should include a reason to click through and something to establish credibility.

Are we talking about just the forum here or … ?

Along a similar line of discussion are ‘meta title’ and ‘meta keywords’. Title should be less than 65 characters, with Snowdrift.coop at the end and meaningful page identifiers up front, this is what shows up on tabs. Keywords are important for accessibility devices such as screen readers.

We can have separate meta stuff for main site or forum, but we should make sure we have good state for both. Do you have any proposals of the exact content we should have?

Searching Google right now gives us:

Crowdmatching for Public Goods — Snowdrift.coop

Funding free/libre/open projects. We support works that everyone can use, adapt, and share freely. But as public goods, anyone can freeride. And that presents …

DuckDuckGo we are pretty far down in the rankings (this is a search for “Snowdrift.coop”) and it shows us the full excerpt:

Funding free/libre/open projects. We support works that everyone can use, adapt, and share freely. But as public goods, anyone can freeride. And that presents a dilemma in getting funded.

Here’s the listing just for the forum:

Snowdrift.coop Community Discussions

Clearing the Path. Discuss concrete work on the Snowdrift . coop project with team members, volunteers, and the community.

A good resource for crafting a new one would be the slogan and comm guidelines wiki pages.

Throwing this all together and giving it a quick stir, here’s what I popped out for the main site:

Crowdmatching free/libre/open projects that everyone can use, adapt, and share freely. Join the effort and dig towards a funded future today!

and for the forum:

Where the Snowdrift.coop community comes together to clear the path for the crowdmatching of free/libre/open projects. Join the conversation today!

I’m sure these aren’t the absolute greatest, but maybe a starting place?

How about (my drafting, just to throw ideas out there):

Funding public goods through crowdmatching — your direct support of free/libre/open projects matched by the rest of the community

and forum:

Discussion forum for everything relevant to Snowdrift.coop, a funding platform for free/libre/open projects

Happy to hear others’ thoughts

How about:

Community Funding of public goods through crowdmatching — your direct support of free/libre/open projects is matched by the rest of the us!

Both forum suggestions seem fine to me.

I like your version, @CANAWEN, lowercasing the F of course.

How about this for the forum?

Discussion forum for Snowdrift.coop, a community funding platform of free/libre/open projects. Clear the path to crowdmatching today!