Team support, personal growth, challenges, Round Sky stuff

Over the past couple weeks, I fell into a very ironic anti-pattern. I made a plan to go over some mindfulness articles and signed up for Round Sky Solutions’ self-care program. But big shifts in the world (pandemic etc) distracted me, and I ended up with an extra clutter in emails and browser tabs. I’ve thus been less focused, less mindful, and failed to do many of the things I’d planned!

Nevertheless, the ideas I’ve been going over are good. So, I’m going to share some notes here (admittedly as part of clearing out my clutter):

Round Sky stuff

Round Sky Solutions is a small (only maybe 3 full-time people?) co-op consultant group emphasizing good consent decision processes. Much of their stuff is sociocracy-informed and related.

I had an hour+ chat with one of them at the end of the self-care process (which I didn’t really do effectively), much of it being me sharing ideas with them and talking about Snowdrift.coop. They’re aligned and open-minded. They use some free-culture licensing but seem somewhat ignorant/new to the ideas. They have a sign-up-wall (not a paywall) behind their “Integrative Consent” and Co-op Decision Toolkit resources, but here’s a direct link: https://www.roundskysolutions.com/cdmt-home/

I want to review that and consider the ideas. Side-note: I don’t like that they use Facebook for discussions and videos. I brought that up to them and they really took my feedback openly, but I don’t know if that will change.

Misc other self-care items:

• Self-care task: Ask 3 people for feedback. How is it to work with me? A few good things, a few suggestions for improvement…
    • I welcome anyone to answer (publicly or privately, whatever) for me and to consider this as a useful question among the team in general
  • Topic Development card that’s a PDF describing a collaborative process of finding tensions and supporting one another in addressing specific topics that come up
  • They have a webinar archive

Overall, this is stuff I want to review along with Sociocracy things. I’d also like to see Round Sky more fully embrace FLO (their main services of dedicated consulting are rivalrous, but perhaps one day crowdmatching could support their publications work).

Conscious Leadership stuff

I’ve mentioned this often since hearing a related podcast last summer. I really like the stuff from the Conscious Leadership Group. They don’t do any sort of paywalls or sign-up walls. They don’t get FLO really, but maybe could be convinced. They have a custom non-commercial sort of “please share” usage terms for their resources and do nothing to withhold anything (that would be hypocritical to their teachings). They also make a big deal about giving credit to the sources they’ve drawn from (notably the Hendicks Institute https://hendricks.com/ which I haven’t really looked at but probably good stuff).

I appreciated this post on pandemic mindfulness Double Down on Your Practices During Uncertainty | Conscious Leadership Group Blog

I’m reading their book currently and find it mostly just excellent and useful.

Remote working and sharing

Overall, I know I could do better to edit this. I’m posting to err on the side of communication. The more I see advice about remote working through the pandemic, the more clear it is to me why it’s often been hard for me to be remote all these years. I want to keep optimizing and reflecting on the process.

We have important work to do here, and our mutual support and communication will make a real difference to our success. Thanks for reading. Please share your thoughts even if you don’t have time to express them optimally. This is time for us to step up but also face the challenges and process them fully.

I’m going to get back to inbox 0 today and no browser tabs.

1 Appreciation

Update: I looked over more Round Sky stuff and just not sure it’s that deep. But was quick enough.

Too many videos (harder to skim and process etc), and slide-deck style stuff.

This is their model:

Integrative Consent

1. Propose: create a proposal for a shared agreement via
    a. proposal surfacing, or
    b. proposer only
  2. Questions and Comments: via round ask clarifying questions, share clarifying points of information, or make any desired responses including better ideas
  3. Amend: proposer amends based on input from previous two steps if desired
  4. Integrate: via round, all present state their objections, or lack thereof
    a. objections surfaced, recorded by title one at a time
    b. objections processed one at time via open discussion to an amended version of proposal that resolves proposer and objector’s tensions
    c. objections surfaced and integrated till none remain

Objections are any articulable reason that a proposal will cause harm to the team or organization. Objections are not a reason I don’t like a proposal, a better idea, or based on predictive concern.

I like all that but it seems just comparable to what we’re already doing and gathered from other resources (Sociocracy 3 etc)

3 types of meetings (my summary)

• purpose, biz-model, strategy, governance (any of those, use Integrative Consent)
  • ops (just work on next-actions etc)
  • personal (do interpersonal, development, support stuff etc)

I like that a lot, very simple. We might just consider each agenda item in one meeting as whether it is any of those. We seem to mostly be doing ops with some short side personal notes.

Otherwise, not sure there’s much here to work on further. I’ll be back to sociocracy studies and us adapting to our own needs. The Conscious Leadership stuff is, in contrast, more deeply valuable to me (incidentally, I told Round Sky about that stuff).

1 Appreciation

By the way, how much coworking time is there currently? I don’t notice much of it happening, but maybe I’m looking in the wrong places. I sometimes wonder if simply coworking on things would be much more effective than talking, i.e. if some of the meeting time could be repurposed for that.

2 Appreciations

My post here is partly a symptom of not getting enough good coworking forward-progress time. It happens here and there, but we need more. I’m not sure all of what we do is visible, and that’s a problem too because the more open the work is, the easier for others to step up and join in.