Should we include a "Disagree" reaction?

I don’t. Can you elaborate?

Why not? You had to “earn” your right to agree with the original post by writing it, or waiting until somebody with a similar enough mindset does.

1 Appreciation

To clarify: you mean the way to simply disagree without posting is to click “agree” on someone else’s post that expresses disagreement with an earlier post. Makes sense to me!

First, you should probably read this:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/should-down-voting-be-core-functionality-in-discourse/40

That’s why Discourse ships with the button labeled :heart: / Like instead of labeled :+1: / Agree. There’s no obvious opposite to :heart: like there is to :+1:, so you’re not going to immediately wish you had one. Also, I can “like” something without obviously “agreeing” with it, like “I just shipped my version 1.0 / I agree”, means that I’m acknowledging that it happened, as opposed to “I just shipped version 1.0 / I like”, where it obviously means that you think 1.0 is awesome.

1 Appreciation

Thanks for the added perspective. We basically have already concluded as much and are anti-down-vote (and read posts like that on Discourse meta too).

We’re deciding what limited set of reactions to have via Retort, and this was part of that brainstorm. But we should maybe just close this as we’re pretty decided against any “disagree” reaction.

We do plan to have basic acknowledge and love type reactions in the limited set discussed at that Retort reactions thread above.

Since others are here now, I’d just like to mention: @mray and I talked privately and decided to postpone this conversation until later, likely in person; he’s not just ignoring the thread.

@notriddle makes a good point, and @wolftune involuntary supports the opposite side even better by clicking that “Agree” button on it.

1 Appreciation

relevant: Which reaction should be the primary non-Retort one?

(I actually support returning ASAP to the heart as the main reaction, I just really wanted “agree” to exist at all, and we switched when we didn’t know retort was an option. Since we can have “agree” in the separate Retort list, I don’t think it should stay as the main prominent button.)

1 Appreciation

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.