Questioning how Snowdrift.coop itself should be funded

The point is that for Snowdrift.coop to make a difference it has to get off the ground and quickly become sustainable.

When you have contributors from germany, you can get funding for their work from https://prototypefund.de/!

https://www.opentech.fund/funds/community-prototype-fund/ might also be an option.

I think to be sustainable, the system has to be functional. It isn’t for me because i don’t have a credit card and SEPA payment is not implemented. To get more crowdmatching contributors, actual projects will help!

2 Appreciations

I am ashamed to say that I still haven’t found the time for the longer response, but will say that my mind has fluctuated regularly and has yet to find a stable side to stay on. We’ll make this a topic at the next weekly meeting. Thanks for keeping the thread alive!

thanks @davidak for your insight!

When you have contributors from germany, you can get funding for their work from https://prototypefund.de/!

This could be helpful! but I can’t read the German (@mray and/or @fr33domlover?)

Will read more on this later, but does sound like it could have some promise as Snowdrift.coop is related to many issues, though not the absolute ideal fit, seems like it may be worth investigating deeper.

Thanks for your willingness to support, hopefully we can implement SEPA in the near future and can get ya pledged! In the meantime it’s always great to get feedback and input on this forum!

For prototypfund.de one of the requirements is that self employed programmers living in Germany have to receive the money.

1 Appreciation

I was having a conversation about Snowdrift.coop last night and an interesting perspective came up that this is likely the correct thread for.

We passed on the idea of a wallet fairly early on when deciding on the simpler model. Due to this, we didn’t really dig into the idea of reoccurring top-ups.

Some people, when donating to a cause, would likely prefer to be able to give a set number of dollars every month.

What if we provide an option to give a fixed amount to the site? These funds will be dispersed to any of the projects that the person is backing based on those specific project’s rates. All remaining funds will be given to Snowdrift.coop as a way to improve the base platform.

I want to be very clear that this would be an option, rather than a requirement. That being said, it seems likely that enough people would take this option on to help in the platform funding, especially early on. Remember, as projects gain more backers, we would receive less from this particular stream.

Thoughts?

1 Appreciation

I can relate to the problem and to the way you suppose to fix it. Most certainly you are right about people wanting to donate non-trivial amounts especially in the beginning.

I just think we should feel an obligation to handle flow of money transparently and easy to understand – despite – having a rather complex mechanism.

Adding one extra way of how money gets handled by us won’t do us a favor in the long run I guess. In that regard I’d even prefer completely separate paypal donations – if only for clarity and simplicity.

3 Appreciations

I think this thread has two near, but distinct, questions. One being how to fund Snowdrift.coop until launch. The other about funding Snowdrift.coop post launch, but before there are enough backers to overcome the snowdrift dilemma while maintaining the platform for other projects.

2 Appreciations