Process for consent decisions on the forum

Not even a concern:

Tiny typo, should be “member”

Concern:

We could put such polls in the non-public Team category and then nobody else would even see it.

What exactly is the concern that would motivate this amendment? I could imagine the concern is any of these:

• “other objections are confronted and ignored” sounds like people might get a harsh treatment
  • People might feel uncomfortable with being explicitly disallowed to participate in sth, when being allowed is the default
  • “Make it clear that only team members can participate” might be hard to do in a way that stops people from accidentally participating

Maybe a better way to integrate the concern would be to remove the “other objections are confronted and ignored”, because a) this won’t happen often anyways, b) it is obvious that such objections would be ignored. Maybe “confronted” is a too strong word?

I just wasn’t sure there’s any technical way otherwise to limit voting to a particular group. It seems the easier to just show the poll to that group rather than show it to everyone but tell most people not to vote. If there were a way to restrict the voting without hiding the poll, that seems fine enough.

Concern is what to do if someone else votes or how to express the sentiment that they shouldn’t or how to pick out the team votes from a mixed vote etc.

I do agree with these points. I’d like that stuff out of the proposal, whether or not we keep the team-poll public.

I think it would be best to do a second consent decision afterwards, with a proposal to amend the agreement. This way, we could avoid further delay for the currently running consent decision. (Maybe this is a good way to deal with concerns in general.)

4 Appreciations

Yay, we’ve made a decision! :partying_face: :confetti_ball: :balloon: :sunglasses:

I marked the post with the poll as the “solution” of this topic.

1 Appreciation

Side-note: Discourse was just updated to now allow polls anywhere to be formally restricted to a group or trust-level. If we care to do that, it’s an option without putting the poll in a restricted topic or category.

2 Appreciations

I added the accepted proposal to the governance docs:

A post was split to a new topic: Blobs vs whatever else in GitLab