Hello snowdrift coop world

I just want to say hello to all of you in this forum.
May I introduce myself:

• Job
    • I work in musical education and as a freelance in database development and linux sysadmin.
  • Other interests
    • education, religion, chess, software development, electronic (arduino).
  • Shared values
    • As a Baha’i I strongly believe that material and technological resources belong to all mankind and as such should be made to enhance the human condition. In my opinion, the concept of a crowdmatching platform will help to achieve this goal.

I recently discovered snowdrift in my mastodon instance, fosstodon.org.

I am looking forward to get acquainted with you. Now I have to find out if I am able to contribute in some way.

5 Appreciations

Welcome!

Not sure if you noticed it yet, but I’m a music educator myself. I came into co-founding this project through free software for music and free-culture issues. Early on, I wrote out my story of how music and teaching brought me into this. My main site wolftune.com has more on my music teaching stuff.

What’s your particular area of music education work?

There’s lots of ways to help, so I’m sure you could! As a first step, see how easy it is or isn’t to discover the resources we already have on how to start contributing… if you have any difficulty, we’d like to know and see about fixing that for the next person. At every step, we’re happy to help, get feedback, answer any questions…

Cheers! :grinning:

1 Appreciation

Wow. You made quite an odyssey before running on FLOSS! I have a similar history in that I gradually shifted the OS and applications from windows to Linux and after a small detour via a Mac, I returned to Linux. So does my family as well.

I particularly liked your page recommending FLOSS software. I am myself heavily relying on Lilypond and Frescobaldi for preparing my lessons and I regularly use LMMS as well.

What’s your particular area of music education work?

I am teaching harmony and counterpoint in a music conservatory in my country. I also have my problems with copyright and musical scores and records. Things are gradually shifting towards using scores in the public domain form sites such as imslp.org. For scores not yet in the public domain, my school library has a budget for buying those. Access for teachers and students is thus possible, at least to some extent.

There’s lots of ways to help, so I’m sure you could! As a first step, see how easy it is or isn’t to discover the resources we already have on how to start contributing… if you have any difficulty, we’d like to know and see about fixing that for the next person. At every step, we’re happy to help, get feedback, answer any questions…

Just give me a few days to orient myself.

1 Appreciation

Glad you found this growing corner of the Internet! Look forward to reading more as fresh eyes hit it.