When dealing with troublesome posts, use your best judgment in choosing from the following actions (you can use multiple actions for the same post):
- For public discussion of a post: use the #feedback-support:meta category
- this could be just general discussion of the concern overall or include links or notes about a specific post
- Don’t use public discussion to shame anyone. Use it for cases where public discussion will likely lead to healthy outcomes such as consciousness-raising.
- For private message to poster without actually flagging, use the first option in the flagging dialogue.
- Make sure the feedback itself stays constructive!
- Flagging options (mutually exclusive, unfortunately):
- inappropriate (i.e. a Code of Conduct violation)
- Flag as “something else” = unspecified flag + message to mods
- This is the only current option for messaging the poster anonymously (by asking moderators to forward the message anonymously.
- To message staff without flagging, send a regular private message to @moderators.
When a post receives enough flags or when a moderator takes action after seeing a flag, the post will be hidden and the poster will receive a message asking them to edit and repost.
Where are the flagging options?
To flag a specific post, expand the menu right below it:
You can also flag a whole topic via the button at the bottom of a topic page, but that offers fewer options than per-post flagging.
(note that new users must reach Trust Level 1 before flagging is available)