Near the end of Patron based proposal for mechanism 1.1 (instead of $-based goals), there was some discussion of the framing, but not agreement. I think it will be easier to come to agreement if we start with the simplest apples-to-apples comparison. So, please limit the discussion in this thread to one specific scenario:
- The project sets a goal of $10 000 per month / 1000 patrons
- Patrons are restricted to pledging at a single rate
What is the best way to frame this pledge? Examples (there are more):
- “I will give $10, at 1000 patrons”
- “I will give $10 at $10 000”
- Describing the rate rather than the total (how we were doing it before the goal-based discussion)
- “I will give $1 per 1000 patrons, up to 10 000 patrons”
- “I will give $1 per $1000 pledged, up to $10 000”
If we cannot agree on this, then it is a fundamental disagreement and we will have to decide how to proceed without alignment. If we can agree, then we can expand the discussion to talk about framing when the pledge value can vary (and whether that matters), etc.
edit: clarification: if you’d prefer to speak in general terms or use a higher goal, as opposed to these specific number values, that’s fine too. The point is that there is absolutely no difference in the matching or incentives at each step of the way, so the only difference that can be discussed is the framing, so we can get alignment on one thing at a time.