Prompted by this exchange:
Continuing the discussion from Mechanism re-proposal: Preshold:
- Probably better to have one great project vs several mediocre ones
- But better to have several great partially-overlapping projects than only one great one.
- Freedom to fork enables creative evolution and diversity and is a check on the power of a project, but it’s negative to have pure quantity of forks for no good reason
- Curation is an important part of the ecosystem
- Within a noisy diverse mix of resources, projects that help review, curate, highlight, guide attention… the curation efforts themselves are worthwhile projects to fund
Whenever we are discussing a zero-sum trade-off, I lean against supporting diversity of projects as an end in itself. But the hope is to grow the public domain enough to reduce the cases of zero-sum trade-offs. Diversity of projects is at least correlated (if not an essential factor to) resilience and dynamism and covering the needs of diverse people.