Continuing the discussion from "respect" and "agree" vs "like" (and other ideal reaction options):
We can get effectively all the custom reactions we want!
- There’s a setting to add custom emojis
- Besides the icons, we can label them whatever we like!
- Once we [install the retort plugin], our custom emojis can be used as reactions that people can reinforce etc.
- we set retort to provide only the set of emojis that make sense for us (but can add more as valuable ideas come up)
Here’s a post where someone else is already doing just this: https://meta.discourse.org/t/there-has-got-to-be-a-way-to-have-a-scoring-based-on-the-civility-of-a-post-rather-than-just-popularity/82728/9
And here’s my brainstorm list of reactions I want to consider, drawing from our other topic in part (not sure about what icons, but that post above has some good starting ones):
Ones I think we really should have:
- clever / funny / entertaining (that direction)
- my sympathies/condolences
- confused/unsure (or separate ones?)
- good reading (i.e. everyone should read this) / high-value post
- needs more research/details/facts etc.
- acknowledged (nod)
- good summary
- [unsure exact words but stand-out example of meeting highest communication ideals]
note: unlike the post I linked, we don’t need lots of stuff about good or bad behavior on the forum, as we stick to flagging and want to keep everyone to high standards